Gen Y are approximately 19-28 and, because they are “newer”, there is less known about how to sell to them than the older generations. They are among the most comfortable of all groups with technology and most actually expect it. They are among the most active social networkers and can be heavily influenced by all forms of media. They are accustomed to instant communication. They expect to be respected.
Gen Y’ers expect things to change and consider “old” inadequate. It’s fair to speculate that they will be among the most inclined to replace older equipment, even though it can be repaired, in exchange for the many benefits of a state-of-the-art system. They are money-savvy and are used to using credit to get what they want now. They are concerned about the environment.
How to sell to Gen Y’ers:
• Most of you are older than your Gen Y customers so put it in your head that they are the customer and are to be respected as such.
• Use your Listen-Question-Listen techniques to let them know you are interested in them.
• Use the Customer Survey Form and create system proposal CHOICES directly from their needs. Reinforce this to them as often as you can.
• Get out your laptop or, better yet, your iPad, and show them photos of your work and present your company’s credentials with it also.
• Prepare your CHOICES Proposal at the kitchen table with your laptop or iPad. Even better if you go online to get your current, exact data. (Check out TRUST PRO Online www.trustproonline.com).
• Offer your financing CHOICES when asking for the sale. What’s working right now are a low monthly payment (1.25% payment factor) or 12 Months Deferred Interest. Contact Tom if you need more information about financing.
Gen Y’s are buyers. Don’t get in their way!